The first wave of European settlers arrived in the rolling Cross Timbers country of north central Texas in the 1840s. Primarily of Scotch-Irish origins, these pioneer farmers came for the most part from southern states, following the frontier as it shifted west of the Mississippi. They entered an area where Native Americans had been living for thousands of years. The Comanche posed a serious threat to the settlers, and in 1849, the U.S. Army established Fort Worth to protect the farms along the sparsely populated frontier.
The area southeast of the fort (and of the Trinity River) was well protected and presumably fairly well settled by the early 1850s. In one well-documented case, eight related families migrated to the area in 1853 from Illinois. Three of the four Gibson brothers in this group established homesteads about 4 miles (6 km) northwest of present-day Mansfield. This settlement, which became known as the Gibson Community, included a school and a church building by 1860.
When R.S. Man and Julian Feild arrived around 1856 and built a grist mill at the crossroads that was to become the center of Mansfield, the beginnings of the community probably existed in the oak groves bordering Walnut Creek (originally called Cedar Bluff Creek). The Walnut Creek Congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church had organized itself in 1854. Members met in each other's homes, so it is suspected that there was a cluster of houses in the area.
In 1856, Julian Feild purchased 540 acres (2.2 km2) in the Mansfield area. Man and Feild completed their three-story brick grist mill sometime between 1856 and 1859. The mill, which produced flour and meal, was the first built in North Texas to utilize steam power and enjoyed patronage as far south as San Antonio and as far north as Oklahoma. The location of the mill in southeastern Tarrant County perhaps reflects the advanced state of wheat cultivation in the area and the ready availability of wood to feed the mill's steam boilers.
Feild opened a general merchandise store at the same time as the mill, located across Broad Street. He built a log house for his family, which also served as an inn for travelers and customers. By 1860, the nucleus of the future city existed. The first post office was established that year, with Julian Feild as postmaster.
During the American Civil War, the Man and Feild Mill supplied meal and flour to the Confederate States Army, hauling it to Shreveport, Louisiana, and Jefferson City, Missouri. As was common practice, the owners tithed ten percent of the mill's production to the Confederacy. The small community around the mill was unique in Tarrant County in that it prospered throughout the Civil War. "Feild's Freighters", assembled in ox-drawn wagon trains, went as far as Fort Sill, Oklahoma, where a part of the Indian Wars raged in the southern plains in the late 1860s and 1870s.
The prospering community which had grown up around the Man and Feild mill took on the name of "Mansfeild", a combination of the names of the founders. Repeated misspellings over the years resulted in the acceptance of the conventional spelling of "Mansfield." The town incorporated in 1909, continuing to be a hub for the surrounding farmland.
In 1956, a federal court ordered the Mansfield Independent School District to desegregate; the first such order in Texas. Protests by 300 whites in front of Mansfield High School, to prevent three black students from enrolling, touched off one of the longest-running desegregation battles of the Civil Rights Movement. Mansfield's school quietly desegregated in 1965 as it faced a lack of federal funds.
- Type: Purchase + 1 more
- Status: For Sale + 2 more
- Save Search
For Sale|2,801 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.175 acres|#20129203
For Rent|2,513 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.214 acres|#20124805
For Sale|2,933 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.22 acres|#20134991
For Sale|1,865 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.178 acres|#20132867
For Sale|2,798 sqft|3 beds|2.5 baths|0.217 acres|#20135433
For Rent|1,040 sqft|2 beds|2 baths|0.243 acres|#20131956
For Sale|3,971 sqft|5 beds|4.5 baths|0.207 acres|#20135398
For Sale|2,148 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.138 acres|#20134252
For Sale|2,036 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.16 acres|#20135139
For Sale|2,627 sqft|2.5 baths|0.176 acres|#20135036
For Sale|1,608 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.202 acres|#20132985
For Sale|2,191 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.181 acres|#20133778
For Sale|3,132 sqft|5 beds|2.5 baths|0.216 acres|#20133289
For Sale|2,815 sqft|5 beds|3.5 baths|0.184 acres|#20134372
For Sale|1,494 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.241 acres|#20092364
For Sale|3,451 sqft|5 beds|4 baths|0.192 acres|#20131892
Accepting Backup Offers|1,828 sqft|5 beds|3 baths|0.306 acres|#20133614
For Sale|3,849 sqft|5 beds|3.5 baths|0.232 acres|#20133621
For Sale|3,165 sqft|5 beds|3.5 baths|0.388 acres|#20132561
For Sale|3,025 sqft|4 beds|3.5 baths|0.169 acres|#20130376
For Sale|2,928 sqft|4 beds|3 baths|0.276 acres|#20133481
For Sale|1,583 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.198 acres|#20133737
For Sale|3,933 sqft|4 beds|3 baths|0.251 acres|#20132445
For Sale|3,693 sqft|4 beds|4 baths|0.449 acres|#20132472
For Sale|1,889 sqft|5 beds|3 baths|0.15 acres|#20129647
For Sale|2,034 sqft|3 beds|2 baths|0.193 acres|#20131665
For Sale|3,785 sqft|5 beds|4.5 baths|0.47 acres|#20133571
For Sale|2,625 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.272 acres|#20131487
For Sale|4,396 sqft|5 beds|4 baths|0.282 acres|#20120779
Accepting Backup Offers|2,783 sqft|4 beds|2.5 baths|0.297 acres|#20127527
Accepting Backup Offers|2,309 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.208 acres|#20129494
For Sale|4,361 sqft|5 beds|4 baths|0.2 acres|#20133155
For Sale|3,781 sqft|4 beds|3.5 baths|0.31 acres|#20133037
For Rent|1,718 sqft|4 beds|2 baths|0.138 acres|#20133030